Thursday, February 5, 2015

So Much For Organic

There is a belief among the skeptics that the label “organic” as applied to food is vague and not very descriptive. Consumers assume it means one thing, but the standards can vary from place to place. 

Years ago, my brother asked me how I knew that the produce I was buying was really organic. (This was before buying organic produce was “cool.”) At the time, I couldn’t think of a good explanation. Only weeks or months later, when I brought home a head of lettuce that was full of little black bugs – mostly dead – did I have proof that at least the lettuce I was buying wasn’t being sprayed with any kind of insecticide.

I have trusted the organic label on anything I have purchased from Whole Foods. And I believe I’ve been right in my trust. But there’s one problem.

Whole Foods – even the great corporation of Whole Foods – must succumb to government regulations.

Bye-bye, organic melons

Recently, the man who owns the goat dairy where we buy our raw milk attended a farmer’s market conference. He enjoyed himself there and learned some new things, but he also brought back some infuriating news. That is, infuriating to those of us working hard to keep synthetic chemicals out of our bodies. Thanks to a few cases of food poisoning due to – authorities believe – consumption of food from roadside stands (and maybe a farmer’s market somewhere), a bill was created and passed into law that will require all melons (and likely a few other items) to be rinsed with bleach before being sold. THIS INCLUDES MELONS THAT ARE CERTIFIED ORGANIC.

Okay, so something being rinsed in bleach isn’t the same as pesticides seeping through the skin and becoming part of the fruit. But in my opinion, as soon as you put any amount of any kind of toxic chemical during any part of the handling of a food, it is no longer organic.

Not only that – the rinsing with bleach – but also the government is working on forbidding the operation of roadside stands. If you won’t take your goods to the nearest “legal” farmer’s market – no matter how far away it might be – you won’t sell your stuff.

So much for a free country.

By the way…

Speaking of raw milk, you might have heard about the FDA raiding dairies that sell unpasteurized milk. Terrorizing even the children that live on those farms. Destroying equipment. Shutting them down.

It’s actually not the FDA. It’s Homeland Security.

Aah, yes, chalk another one up to the government for helping us to feel safe in our nation of birth.

What next?

I’m normally not a harbinger of doom, but this dismaying news led my mind down a path: is there coming a day where the label “organic” won’t be able to be trusted, anywhere?


I’m glad I know how to grow my family’s fruits and vegetables. I also know that even if I couldn’t grow our own melons, I wouldn’t buy a single one again from a store or farmer’s market.