Monday, January 26, 2015

I'm BA-ack!

I’m back.

What can I say? Being temporarily immobilized depresses me. I have been working on novels since about the third week after my surgery – I figured out I could put my NEO2 in my lap and then my slinged (is that a word?) left hand could comfortably place itself to type – but I lost all desire to blog.

Maybe if we’d had Internet at home, I would have bothered to post to this blog once in a while. But on top of being depressed because I couldn’t even wash dishes for a while (can you imagine being depressed about that?), I was growing more and more frustrated with the slow Internet connection at our local library. Trying to order from Amazon was the worst. So I quit blogging.

But now, I’m back. So here are some updates about your favorite author (right? RIGHT?) since she broke her humerus (not funny at all) last October.

The garden

Shortly before I broke my arm, I promised you that I’d tell you how my sweet potato and bell pepper harvest turned out.

I’ll start with the peppers. The humidity finally dropped some and it finally quit raining every other day, long enough for the peppers to get happy again and grow some fruit. However, it was so late in the season that happened that I was forced to pick green peppers after the first couple of frosts. That is to say, I was forced to ask my son to pick them. My arm was still in a sling and still hurt like heck.
One night it was going to get too cold for the frost blanket to protect the plants very much. So B picked them that afternoon, and J cut them into strips and froze them.

Now, for the sweet potatoes. Are you ready? Yes, they grew. Boy, did they grow! Some of them are as big as a small head! Here are a couple of photos to prove it (the jar in the second and third photos is a 16-ounce peanut butter jar):



Once again, credit where it’s due, B harvested most of the sweet potatoes all by himself. I was only a week or two out of surgery when I realized they needed to be dug up, or would be lost to frost.

I ended up with close to the amount that I’d been hoping for. A few dozen have been stored in our house in a box, the rest are in a makeshift “root cellar”, basically a hole in the ground lined with hay and covered with leftover roofing material from when J built the shed this past summer.

I am thrilled that we can grow our own sweet potatoes. Can you say, “save money on groceries”? After all, organic sweet potatoes at Whole Foods cost about two dollars a pound.

My arm

I went to see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday of this week. He took one look at my x-ray and said, “You’re healed. You don’t need anymore x-rays or anything.”

I’ve still got to keep exercising my arm several times a day to get all the muscles and joints back into commission, but I was very happy to hear it, though not surprised. I’d used therapeutic-grade birch essential oils for several weeks, twice a day, on my arm. Birch oil helps regrow bone cells.

My writing

I think it was late last summer, maybe very early fall that I promised to have another book published to Kindle by November. Well, I did have it completed and proofread by then.

And then I decided I didn’t like it. I found several things wrong with it. So wrong, that I’m not sure I can change it to what I want it to be without completely rewriting it. So it’s sitting in the novel folder on my laptop, serving as a lesson, and a reminder: not every novel is worthy of publication.

Since finishing that, I began a trilogy. I will publish all three novels, within a couple of days of each other, once I’ve written and proofread all three.

I’ve finished one, and am approaching the halfway point of the second.

The Internet

We finally broke down and bought Internet service for our home. Originally, we were going to try to just go to the library to do our online business. A few months ago, we decided that was getting old, and would buy Internet service once we moved into our new house (which is scheduled to begin building the first week of April).

But I couldn’t stand the stress anymore. The stress of pushing B to get ready whenever we wanted to go to the library. The stress of wasting time going somewhere else to check e-mail and the weather. The stress of not knowing what the weather was going to be (there’s no radio station nearby that I want to listen to, and no way was I going to buy that Noah radio thingy and have another gadget to find room for in this tiny house). The worst stress was the slow Internet connection at the library, especially on days when we really wanted to order on amazon but couldn’t get past the home page!

So we bought wireless Internet. Our other option here is satellite, but check this out: to get 25 GB a month with satellite, you have to pay $129. To get that much with wireless depends on the speed you opt for: fast, faster, or fastest. Of course, being frugal we opted for the least expensive option. Guess what we’ll pay for 25 GB a month with wireless? (And the speed is equal to the Fios Internet we had in the ‘burbs!)

TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS A MONTH. Fios was, a-hem, $63 a month.

So I’ll be posting with more regularity now. Thanks for coming to welcome me back, and hope to see you around again.

Happy reading,

Emily Josephine