Monday, June 23, 2014

Small Town Love

I grew up in rural southeast Minnesota, and I have to admit: I didn’t exactly develop any sort of affinity for small towns. The small town where we traveled to in order to attend church services, do grocery shopping, and go to school was a “bedroom” town: most residents worked in Rochester, many at the local tech business or for one of the clinics or hospitals. 

There wasn’t a whole lot of “small town” friendliness I heard about later as an adult. In fact, in the local high school (which, when I was a kid, included grades seven through twelve), sexual harassment was rampant and was not uncovered until I was well out of college. Even before high school, there was a harsh division between the children who lived in the town and those who lived in the country. I remember calling those who lived in the town “townies” in a snide, uppity voice. At the same time, those “townies” looked down on us poor rural kids.

I liked it when we finally moved into Rochester when I was sixteen. It had a different atmosphere, I assumed because there were a lot more people and a lot greater diversity of people. So it was harder to stick out like a sore thumb.

By then, I was already well-jaded against small towns. This bias followed me into adulthood, to the extent that I sometimes wavered about moving to our new location in southeast Oklahoma, where I would have to relate to people in a small town.

Southern/Northern difference?

When I lived in Minnesota, I once in a while heard about how friendly people in the South were. While I certainly have had my fair share of positive experiences of that while living in the Dallas, Texas area (such as perfect strangers pulling over and helping me when I had a tire blow-out), that place is so huge that it’s hard to be anything but just another anonymous face to most everybody else.

Then we took the leap and moved out of the city. Here is what has happened to me in the past few months.

A couple of months ago, I walked into the store that provides our cell phone service to pay our bill. That was our last errand of the day, and we headed home after I paid it. Upon arriving home, I discovered that I had left my change purse - which contained around $200 – at the cell phone place.

I tried to call. No answer. (Yes, ironic, I know.) I drove back into town (not a big deal; it’s only about five miles away) and walked back into the store.

The lady who had accepted my payment was talking to a couple at her desk, but her eyes met mine and took on a knowing glance.

“Please, tell me you have it!” I exclaimed, so desperate not to have lost the money that I didn’t even think about manners.

The lady smiled at me, and held up the little purse. Relieved, I retrieved it and thanked her profusely. I did not count the money until I got home; I knew I didn’t need to. Indeed, every single cent that had been there was still there.

The next series of small town friendliness came out of the insurance agency where we had bought our Oklahoma car insurance. While in the process of selling our house, we needed access to a fax machine, copy machine, and somewhere to sit down with the mobile closing agent and sign papers for an hour or so.

The lady who runs the agency – Melissa – was really sweet and did the copies and faxing we needed – at no charge - and let us borrow a desk in the back of the office the day that we closed.

Most recently, I walked into the bank where we had opened a couple of accounts over the past month or so, needing the account number for the savings account I had just opened up. She retrieved it for me without even asking my name, let alone asking for an I.D.

I commented on that when she returned with the information written down on paper, to which she replied with a smile, “Oh, I know who y’all are.”

I haven’t even begun to talk about the great folks at the hardware store, or the ladies who run the library. I can’t say whether it’s a difference between the independent Northern culture or the more family-oriented Southern culture, but my idea about small towns have changed.


I like them a lot better than impersonal cities. (Thank You, Jesus, for leading us here. J  )