Saturday, June 28, 2014

Our Food Dilemma

We have a dilemma, my husband and I. We are getting tired of the eating regimen we have adopted out of necessity; that is, having to eat more dried (including grains) and frozen foods because the closest place to buy organic (or at least, chemical-free) food is two and a half hours, either north or south.

We are both sick of grains. I would strongly prefer a mostly raw Paleo-ish diet, but we have been eating grains for lunch, and DH has been additionally eating them for snacks. The only grains our son will eat without complaining are sweet brown rice, oats, and Ezekiel 4:9 bread.

Even without muscle testing, I know that my ideal diet is one that does not include grains – not because of having read any books, although I have, but going by how I feel after eating a plate of grains. Muscle testing does, however, confirm the fact. While I can be healthy eating a limited amount of grains a day, my ideal diet would nix them altogether.

I am also sick of cooked eggs, and all Mr. Picky (AKA our son) wants is sweet things (AKA fruit and fresh milk, at least in this household which is managed by a health nut). The egg issue is easily remedied: I can put raw yolks in my smoothie and toss the whites, like I used to do.

Giving up grains and replacing them with more fresh (not frozen or dehydrated) fruits and vegetables is a bit trickier. We need to start going to the local farmer’s market, but the nearest one is a thirty-minute drive away. I did not move out into fresh air with the idea of adding more pollution to the environment by having to drive more in order to get healthy food.

The long-term plan

Within three years, between the large garden and a small but intensely-managed orchard, we should not have to depend on anyone else to supply us with fresh produce. I even plan, by then, to be growing our own mung beans and lentils to sprout and eat raw in salads.

But three years is a long time. And except for Ezekiel 4:9 bread, DH would rather not continue to eat grains for meals and/or snacks for that long. I dare not even eat the bread, as the gluten gets to me (yes, Matt Stone, even if I eat it every day for several weeks to try to force my body to adapt to it).

Raw milk would be a great substitute for grain (if you can forget how much more expensive the former is), but I cannot tolerate the lactose (yes, Matt Stone, I have tried making my body adapt to that, too - you try being a pre-menopausal woman with a sensitive digestive system).

So, what is a health-conscious family living out in the middle of nowhere to do in order to obtain chemical-free produce?

Compromise

We have decided to sacrifice a couple of mornings a month, get up super early, and drink smoothies in the car on the way to a farmer’s market. I can keep most things fresh for two weeks; certain items such as stone fruits I can freeze. I don’t mind frozen, as long as it’s fresh when I buy it and I freeze it while it’s raw.

I am never happy about getting into a car and driving so much – our gas bill will go up, too – but I am much less happy with being confined to a semi-vegan, mostly  cooked diet. Besides, it’s only for the next two or three years.

The moral

When you set out to drastically change your lifestyle, you have to allow for a long transitional period. You may have to bend your personal standards, especially if you’re a perfectionist like me.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither has any homestead ever been. I choose to enjoy the relative freedom we have, thank God that wecan afford to do what we’re doing, and bend my rules a little so that we can really enjoy ourselves when we sit down to fuel up.